“Trick or Treat: How to get the important things done.”
(This is a method I’ve used for a while—I adapted it to a fun Halloween tradition.)
We all have those large, overwhelming projects we need to get done. Or daily mundane activities we need to do for our own good.
Here are my tricks and treats I use to get big things done and build better habits into my life.
- Break significant projects or tasks down into several small, doable steps. Something you can finish in 30 minutes or less. (Tip: Set a timer.)
- Pair something challenging or boring with something fun. Daily walks or workouts are much easier while listening to upbeat music, audio book, or podcast. (Tip: If you don’t complete the action, don’t allow yourself to listen to the next episode.)
- Ask a friend to join you. Whether it’s clearing closets or exercise, doing it with a friend makes it more entertaining and time goes by quickly. (Tip: We are more likely to honor a commitment to another person than to ourselves.)
Treats I give myself when I complete a goal, activity or major project. Special treats are small indulgences. They should be energizing, make us happy and demonstrate great self-care.
- After I achieve what I set out to do, I treat myself to a latte, a relaxing bubble bath, or a favorite show to binge on. (Tip: Non-food rewards are best for those who, like me, work at keeping my weight at a healthy level. )
- I plan an outing or special activity beforehand as a reward for getting to my goal. If I don’t achieve it, I cancel the reward.
- Identify a “special treat” in advance that you enjoy and tie it to what you want to accomplish.
What tricks or treats help you realize your goals and improve your habits?